Motherhood – there is so much I LOVE about it….but there are a lot of things about it that are so utterly naff!
- Broken sleep. Personally I can deal with little sleep ok – but broken sleep….nope! It’s a killer!
- Cold meals. I can’t remember what it’s like eating a hot or even warm meal!
- No days off. My husband is great and will do all he can to pick up the slack when I’m not feeling good…but when you’re a mum you can never not do anything.
- Loss of hair. I lost so much hair after giving birth to each child! I’m surprised I have any left! I still remember the total shock the very first time it happened.
- Body changes. Hips change, boobs change (my husband loved the getting bigger times…but not so much the sensitive (pregnancy and breastfeeding!) or shrinking times!) My body is not the same body it was 10 years ago. I am so unfit, and I can’t find the time or energy to do much about it.
- Reading the same book 5 million times. Why???
- Watching the same film 5 million times. Again – why???
- Never having money to buy yourself anything. I am still wearing clothes and shoes that I bought 10-15 years ago! Infact it gets worse. I’m currently wearing my husbands hoody that he bought almost 20 years ago!?!
- Baby brain. It’s a real thing! And it does not go away just because your kids aren’t babies anymore!
- A whole nother level of Worry. I worry like I have never worried before.
- No privacy. I can’t wait to go to the bathroom by myself again.
- Joy and Pride. When that human I gave life to achieves something, or does something kind and caring….I could burst because of the Joy and Pride I feel!
- Gaining a whole new Love. I love my husband, my parents, siblings, in-laws, nieces and nephews, grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins and their families …..but the love I have for my kids – it’s different!
- Reliving your childhood. I have lots of fun playing and messing around with the kids! Playing in the park,etc….you know just to keep the kids happy….
- Learning things about yourself. I have learnt so much about myself through all of the different experiences I’ve had as I mum. Good and bad. I’m stronger than I thought, more emotional, I can’t do more than 2 things at once and guess what – I can actually leave a bit of mess without exploding!
- Always have an excuse. Look a mess – “I’ve got kids.” Said something daft – “Babybrain!” Don’t fancy going out – “sorry, I haven’t got a babysitter.” and so on and so on!
- Parking spaces. When you have young kids you can park in parking spaces that are bigger than the norm!
The lists could go on and on!
When I was younger I didn’t want to have kids. I wanted to have a career. Then after getting married I told my husband we could have one kid. After having our first child – there was nothing I wanted more than to be a Mum! I am so very grateful that I am able to experience it!